Independent Parental Supporter (Wrexham)
Hours 12 hours per week over 2/3 days
Pay scale £16,593.44 / £17,039.50 Pro rata
Responsible to: Assistant Director
SNAP Cymru is seeking to appoint an Independent Parental Supporter to work from Wrexham town centre and across the County Borough of Wrexham. The work will entail listening carefully to parental concerns and reframing them within regulations. Parents will need to understand the services available in Wrexham and work in partnership to achieve a good outcome for the child or young person. The person will publicise our need for volunteers, recruit, mentor and support these to work alongside our Wrexham team to offer the fullest support possible to families.
The work will involve you (once trained) in supporting families mainly in Wrexham but also across Wales via out Help Centre services. This is a reciprocal arrangement as on days you are not doing this, Wrexham families can access support from staff and trained volunteers based in our other offices.
You will need to have a genuine interest in the additional learning needs of children as well as knowledge of the services that support them. You will understand the diversity of families and individuals. You will be able to inform, support, guide and challenge.
You will have the support, guidance and mentoring of our Families and Young People Officer who is based in the same office but you will also have to work alone and be able to seek support from your colleague and our Senior Leadership Team by email and phone if you meet a problem when she is out and about.
- Corporate understanding and commitment to the work and purpose of SNAP Cymru
- Flexible approaches to problem solving
- Empathy with families and young people and those who are working with them to resolve differences
- Active listening to other views to find common ground
- Reflection leading to continuous improvement
- Good general education or above
- Excellent written and spoken communication
- Respect for other staff, volunteers, families and young people
- Adherence to SNAP Cymru policies and procedures and national legislation and guidance
- Motivational interviewing and solution focussed techniques
- Microsoft word PowerPoint and Excel
- Key Working
- Monitoring systems
- Report writing
- Telephone support
- Developing volunteers
The post holder will have a very good understanding of education establishments and the pressures both the establishment and the family are under
- Up to date knowledge of legislation and guidance affecting SNAP Cymru
- Ability and determination to seek up to date information
Ability in Welsh and other languages, including Bliss, BSL and Total Communication, is desirable for all posts across Wales and Welsh language is essential for some.
If you would like to discuss this post please ring:
Lindsay on 0878 030 180 64 or email: email@example.com
Closing date for applications 04/09/2019
Interview date 09/09/2019 at the AVOW building in Wrexham
To apply please send a CV with any additional appropriate information to
Please visit our website www.snapcymru.org for a wider view of our organisation and areas of work